Sunday, September 5, 2010

A New York me

Sara's turn.

My New York state of mind is emerging.

For months Michael and I have talked about planning a trip to the Big Apple. We talked about visiting record stores, Central Park, bakeries, museums and Brooklyn Banks. Our thoughts are consumed by taxi rides, subway systems, horse-drawn carriages and pounding the pavement until our ankles ache.

But I'm mostly obsessing over red lipstick.

I'm really a Chapstick kind of girl. On more formal occasions I will put on a layer of glittering lip gloss. But New York City is worth applying something thicker than Burt's Bees. At least I think so.

The city is alive. It has character and is envied the world-round. The people, the buildings, the streets, everything is glamorized in NYC. And I want to be, too. I want to strut on Fifth Avenue like it's my personal catwalk. I want heels, high fashion and rouge lips. I want flawless hair, perfect skin, sunglasses made by Coach or Guess. I want to own New York.

So, I shopped today for lipstick. I tried to prepare myself by flipping through the latest issue of InStyle magazine before arriving at Ulta. Turns out, red isn't in. In fact, flashy lips are not the current couture. Nude, beige, peachy puckers are king. How is one supposed to stand out in New York City with nude lips? But that's OK, I told myself. At least I knew what was "in" and what was "out," and that knowledge would lead me. So I settled on the recommended color and brand for my skin tone, a lipstick made by Smashbox called "splendid." It's very ho-hum and kind of sand-colored. Not splashy. Not wow. Not who is that girl?

It doesn't really matter what color the lipstick is. I realize that. The idea, the concept I hope to embrace, is that we can give ourselves permission to be whomever we want when we travel. If I want to walk the streets in coal-rimmed eyes and plump red lips, I can. If I want to travel without running a comb through my hair, I will.

And so for New York, I will be a "higher class" Sara. A sophisticate. Someone with confidence. For Boston it could change. For Florida, I might just be me.

1 comment:

  1. i expect daily updates people, daily. and a wave from the air as you pass my house would be kind. thank you. that's all.

    ReplyDelete